SOFA - SHARAD Open Focusing Attempt
What is SOFA?
SOFA means SHARAD Open Focusing Attempt. SOFA is an experimental open-source focuser for SHAllow RADar (SHARAD) radargrams written in python v3. This code has been developed and refined since 2016 during my spare time (sitting on the...guess where!). As I tried to publish on scientific journals some results, with no luck (read the short sad story below), as a (poor) believer in open and fair science I decided to publish here the code and some results. Maybe they could be useful for somebody in the scientific community!
The focusing algorithm is inspired by the one developed and described by the U.S. SHARAD Science Team on the PDS Geosciences Node website (link). SOFA algorithm extends those concepts by allowing the focusing of the radargram using a squint angle different from zero (i.e., squinted focusing), by using proper phase shifting.
Using this focuser it is possible to obtain new SHARAD products with possible better characteristics than those usually published on the PDS. As an example, it is possible to enhance subsurface targets and estimate their physical slope by properly combining the results of multiple short-aperture squinted radargrams (see the Radargram enhancement and target physical slope estimation page).
Language: python v3.x
|Where you can get SOFA|
|How to use SOFA|
|Description of some useful information extracted
properly combining SOFA outputs
...prepare your kleenexes!
- end of 2016: Adamo starts to write a focuser for SHARAD in his spare time;
- beginning of 2017: Adamo gets interesting results by combining squinted radargrams;
- April, 2017: Adamo submits his work for revision to a journal; rejection and suggestion to reduce the paper;
- June, 2017: Adamo submits a reduced version to a letter journal; rejection and suggestion to extend the paper with more results/examples;
- January, 2018: Adamo submits an extended version; rejection because results/examples are not sufficiently detailed, and suggestion to focus and develop a single example;
- July, 2018: Adamo realizes that the scientific community cannot wait more and decides to publish here his work (i.e., Adamo realizes that he has no more time to continue trying to submit probably bad papers).
In the meantime, Adamo gets married (ok, this is not sad at all!!! :) ).